Everyone knows that if you turn your back on a child, they can easily get into trouble. Many parents are at a loss for how they can furnish their children’s environment and make it a safe and comfortable place for them. Whether they are in their bedroom or the kitchen, you must always make sure their safety is at the forefront of your mind. To help with this, here are the best tips for making a child’s environment safe.
- Use plug protectors on all unused outlets. Keep electrical appliances away from plugs and out of reach when not in use.
- Make sure no cords are running underneath rugs. Children may chew on these.
- Keep rooms free of choking hazards. Anything from small foods to lose items, such as keys and pen caps, must stay out of reach.
- Keep any fire starting implements in a secure area, out of the reach of children.
- Use window stops to keep children from opening windows too wide.
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home. Do the same with carbon monoxide detectors.
- Keep nonskid mats on the floor and in the tub.
- Store medicines and all cosmetics in locked containers out of the reach of children.
- Always supervise children in the bathroom. No matter how little water there is, drowning is always possible.
- Keep your hot water heater at a lower temperature to prevent kids from scalding themselves.
- Keep knives, scissors, and any other sharp implements out of the reach of children.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. Ensure that all the adults in the house know how to operate it.
- Cook on back burners and keep the hot pot handles turned away from the front of the stove.
- Carefully label and store all toxic chemicals out of reach.
- Stay away from tablecloths. Children can grab these, and objects can topple on them.
- Keep the bed away from the windows.
- Stay away from bunk beds until your kids are older.
- Remove smaller items from the crib, such as toys, pillows, and stuffed animals.
- Keep the drapery and blind cords out of the reach of children.
If you follow these tips, you can rest assured that you create a safe and secure environment for your child. We hope you have taken these tips to heart, as your child’s safety is the most important thing you can provide for your family.