If you’ve never been exposed to the original Pink Panther Films then I feel for you. Although the series, with Peter Sellers starring, was concluded prior to me even being born, the comedic prowess of the films are unmatched.
Over and over again these films place the bumbling Inspector Clouseau (Sellers) in situations where he’s forced to take on the most ridiculous disguises. Like any good slapstick comedy however, the idiocy of Sellers’ character never stops him from being triumphant at the end.
It is amazing to me how much parenting can feel like you’re caught in a Pink Panther movie! Minus the prosthetics, I imagine that most dads can appreciate the parallel of how laughable our approach is at times.
Yes, there are definitely some gems that we can pick up from the Inspector.
Daddifying The Inspector
1. Parenting in the Dark – Just when you think that you’ve gotten somewhere, the lights are turned on and you realize that you’ve been walking on a treadmill.
2. Speaking French – With all of the “huh’s” and “what’s”, you finally come to the conclusion that you must be speaking French.
3. Just Waiting for the Ambush – Much like the Inspector, you feel as though you could be attacked with a pair of nun-chucks at any time.
4. There’s Always Someone Hurt – Regardless of how purposeful you are, someone always ends up unconscious.
5. You are Always Found Out – Despite how clever you are at disguising your ineptitude, your kids will find a way to “pull off your wig, melt your nose, and remove your peg leg.”
6. You’re not as Cool as You Think You are – You can try and try and try, but your attempts to be cool will ultimately end with you being stuck in a position you find most unfortunate.
7. Yes, You Just Said That – Somehow becoming a dad triggers an innate compulsion to repeat things over and over and over and over…..
8. Great Observation Dumb-Dumb – You find it impossible to avoid being a purveyor of the obvious when in the company of adults.
9. My Hand is on Fire – Any time an open flame is introduced, someone is coming away with third-degree burns.
10. You’re too Old for That – The urge to attempt youthful feats of athleticism is almost always followed by a damaged groin.
For Those Visual Learners
In the spirit of teaching by example, you sometimes need a high quality training video to really drive home the point.
[Read more…] about Inspector Clouseau’s Top Ten Realities for Dads